TITLE: Government Affairs Committee Chair
MISSION STATEMENT: To promote and advocate for legislation, policies and regulatory issues of significance to all Montana libraries
- Inform Montana legislators and the Montana public of the needs and concerns of the library community;
- Provide library workers and supporters with up-to-date information on government actions or proposals;
- Develop networks to lobby legislators and further library interests.
ONGOING: Reports due for Board meetings on Committee activities.
TIMELINE: Ongoing throughout legislative year
- Monitor legislation
- Track happenings within the government that could affect libraries
- Organize communications with librarians, trustees, Montana State Library staff
- Prepare and oversee yearly budget
- Work with government officials, including senators and house members, advocacy groups and citizens to convey MLA legislative goals.
- Update Montana library community on legislative decision
- With Conference Planner organize the Legislative Reception
- Make arrangements for Legislative Advocacy training
- Represent MLA at ALA Legislative Days in Washington, DC
- Work with MLA lobbyists and Montana State Library to set legislative agenda
- Negotiate contract with lobbyists
- Coordinate with MLA lobbyist and Montana State Library to initiate nomination for MLA Champion Award