TITLE: ALA Representative/Montana Chapter Councilor
VISION: Montana’s libraries and librarians will be vital and respected components of national and regional library representation.
MISSION STATEMENT: The Montana Library Association is a chapter of the American Library Association and is represented by the ALA Chapter Councilor. Montana’s place in the major national library organization depends on its ability to have a vote on the ALA Council, the governing body of the ALA.
- The ALA Councilor will represent Montana’s libraries and librarians by means of votes on ALA Council, participation in ALA’s Chapter Relations efforts, and sharing of ALA endeavors in Montana.
- Montana’s librarians will be acquainted with ALA activities and endeavors and will be encouraged to participate at the national level.
- Montana librarians will be alerted to and involved in library issues of national importance.
- Montana’s ALA Chapter Councilor will attend all sessions of ALA Council at every ALA annual and midwinter conference (3 sessions at each conference, each year) and will be available to vote on issues raised.
- Montana’s ALA Chapter Councilor will attend as many Chapter Relations Committee meetings and events as possible, and will use this forum to acquaint ALA with library activities in Montana.
- The Chapter Councilor will attend MLA Board meetings and membership meetings at conference and will report on issues important to Montana libraries.
- The Chapter Councilor will act as liaison, when necessary, between the chapter/state association and the national organization and their respective staff members.
- Report orally, if requested, to MLA membership at MLA Annual Conference.
- Provide ALA membership information at MLA annual conference through an exhibit booth.
- Write columns on ALA news for each issue of MLA Focus.
TIMELINE: The ALA Councilor assumes office at the end of the ALA Annual Conference following MLA Board election in the spring, and shall be seated at the first ALA Council midwinter meeting following this date. It is a 3-year term.
- Submit budget request to MLA Executive Director (early May)
- Submit annual report
- Attend MLA Board Retreat (June)
- Attend ALA Board meeting (June/July)
- Submit Focus columns (late May and July)
- Attend MLA Board meeting (October)
- Submit MLA Board report
- Submit Focus (September and November)
- Submit Focus columns (January)
- Attend ALA Mid-Winter Conference (January/February)
- Attend MLA Board meeting (January)
- Submit Board report
- Submit Focus columns (March)
- Attend MLA Conference & Board meeting (April)
- Submit Board Report
A member in good standing of Montana Library Association, who is also a member of the American Library Association, shall be elected by active Montana ALA members as Chapter Councilor, in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws of the American Library Association, for a term of three years with the beginning of such term to coincide with that of the officers of ALA (Bylaws. Article VIII, Sec, see timeline section above). The Chapter Councilor is responsible for formally reporting to the Board and MLA membership proceedings at ALA Conference that affect the MLA, The Chapter Councilor is also responsible for keeping the Board informed of national issues, events and legislation. The Chapter Councilor is responsible for reading and complying with the guidelines of ALA’s Duties of an ALA Chapter Councilor as found on the ALA website. The Chapter Councilor submits a written annual report to the President to be included with the Association’s annual reports. The Chapter Councilor communicates regularly with the membership through Wired-MT, Montana Library Focus or other means.
ALA Councilor budget requests include the Chapter dues, ALA Washington Office and Freedom to Read contributions, as well as travel expenses for ALA conference and Midwinter. MLA pays 100% of ALA conference registrations, plus reasonable expenses such as air fare, hotel, etc. A concerted effort should be made to keep all expenses as low as possible.
Updated January 2018