- An active member of the Montana Library Association, who is also a personal member of the American Library Association, shall be elected as Chapter Councilor, in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws of the American Library Association, for a term of three years, with the beginning of such term to coincide with that of the officers of ALA. [Bylaws. Article IX, Sec. 3]
- The Chapter Councilor assumes office on September 1, following election in the spring, and shall be seated at the first ALA Midwinter meeting following election.
- If the office becomes vacant, the President shall appoint a personal member of ALA to complete the term until the next annual ALA election.
- The Chapter Councilor represents the Montana Library Association at the ALA Conferences and carries out such duties as are dictated by the bylaws of both associations.
- The Chapter Councilor attends as many ALA Conferences as possible during the term. The Board of Directors will designate what expenses will be paid.
- The Chapter Councilor is responsible for formally reporting to the Board proceedings at ALA Conferences that affect the Montana Library Association and keeps the Board informed of national issues, events, and legislation.
- The Chapter Councilor submits a written annual report to the President to be included with the
Association’s annual reports and also reports orally, if requested, to the Association membership at the annual Conference.
- The Chapter Councilor communicates regularly with the membership by means of articles in Montana Library Focus.
- The Chapter Councilor and any Councilors-at-large within the state shall hold a Library Issues Caucus at the Association’s annual conference.